- One French baguette, halved lengthwise
- 1 c. Greek or Italian black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1 c. roasted red peppers, drained, patted dry and coarsely chopped
- 4 scallions, roots and tough top greens removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 7.5-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces sliced smoked ham or turkey
- 1½ c. loosely packed fresh watercress or arugula
- 10 ounces sliced Provolone cheese
- 1/2 c. firmly packed watercress, arugula or Italian parsley leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 tbls drained capers
- 3 tbls lemon juice
- ½ c. olive oil
Scoop out the soft inside of both sides of the baguette, leaving a shell which is about
1-inch thick. In a bowl, combine olives, pep- pers, scallions and artichoke hearts.
Prepare the dressing by placing parsley, watercress or arugula, garlic, capers and lemon juice in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine. With processor running, slowly drizzle the olive oil in through the feed tube.
Add 1/2 of the dressing to olive mixture. Place half remaining arugula or watercress on bottom of hollowed baguette. Drizzle
with half of the remaining dressing. Layer the turkey/ham, olive mixture and cheese on top of the greens. Place the remaining arugula in the hollowed area of other baguette piece. Drizzle with remaining vinaigrette. Carefully put them together and press gently. Wrap the sandwich tightly with foil. Refrigerate several hours or overnight.
The sandwich can be served cold or hot. To serve hot, place sandwich on a baking sheet and heat in a 375-degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes. To prepare on an outdoor grill, heat grill to 375-degrees or heat coals until hot. Place foil-wrapped sandwich on hot grill. Heat for
4 minutes on one side then flip and heat on the other side for another 3 minutes. Remove foil and cut sandwich into four large pieces or into individual 2-inch slices. If making smaller slices, secure sandwich with a toothpick.