- Grapeseed oil (for sautéing)
- 3 lbs. sunchokes, washed and roughly chopped
- 3 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 4 oz. hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 Tbl. créme fraiche
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 1 greensmith apple, peeled & diced
- 10 chives, thinly sliced
- 1 breakfast radish (thinly sliced)
- 4 oz. hazelnuts, tasted and chopped
- 2 tsp hazelnut oil
Place large soup pot over medium-low heat, add grapeseed oil and lightly sauté the sunchokes for 4-5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, cream, milk, hazelnuts and simmer until tender (approx. 30 minutes). Let cool slightly.
Place soup in highspeed blender and blend until smooth. Mix in the crème fraiche and hazelnut oil and season to taste with sea salt. The soup should be smooth and creamy. If too thick, thin out the soup with additional stock and adjust the seasoning.
For serving, ladle the soup into bowls and top with salad of apples, chives, cheese, radish, hazelnuts (dressed in hazelnut oil).
About this recipe
Contributed by Chef Christopher Mangless.