- One 8.5-ounce jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 4 to 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- A pinch of white pepper
- 1 sheet of store-bought frozen puff pastry, thawed according to directions
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup sun-dried tomato pesto
- 3 medium tomatoes cut into 12 slices
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Finely chopped fresh basil or fresh oregano leaves, for garnish
Place the sun-dried tomatoes, with the oil, in the bowl of the food processor. Add the basil and oregano leaves and garlic. Pulse to combine. With the processor running, slowly add enough of the olive oil to create a creamy pesto. The amount will vary depending on the amount of oil in the sun-dried tomatoes. Add the Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper and pulse quickly to just combine. Refrigerate pesto if using within the next three days. Pesto can also be frozen for future use.
MINIATURE PUFF PASTRY TART PREPARATION
Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper or a Silpat baking mat. Lightly fl our your work area. Place the thawed puff pastry on the floured work area. Use a rolling pin to even out any creases in the pastry. Cut the dough into 12 two-inch squares.
Place the puff pastry squares on the prepared baking sheet. Spread a scant teaspoon of pesto on each square. Top with a slice of tomato. Sprinkle with the mozzarella cheese.
Bake for approximately 10-to-12 minutes or until the puff pastry is golden brown and the cheese is melted. Remove from the oven and top with chopped fresh basil or oregano.