- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup thinly sliced ramp bulbs and slender stems plus three cups of loosely packed thinly sliced green ramp leaves. (If ramps are unavailable, substitute a mix of arugula and additional basil)
- 1 cup grated or shredded Parmesan or Asiago cheese
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds or walnuts
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil
- Salt and white pepper to taste
Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the 2/3 cups ramp bulbs and stems to the skillet and sauté until soft but not browned. Reduce heat if necessary.
Transfer to a food processor. Add the green tops, cheese, nuts and basil. Process until fi nely chopped, scrapping down the sides several times. With machine running, gradually add ½-cup olive oil and purée until smooth.
Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Transfer pesto to a bowl. Can be made a day ahead and refrigerated or frozen in ice cube trays. When frozen, transfer pesto cubes to a freezer bag.
For a homemade pasta recipe and on-line pasta cooking demonstration, visit my website www.chefterrimilligan.com