- 3 tbls. olive oil, divided
- 2 medium-sized leeks, root and tough green top removed, thinly sliced (about 1 cup sliced)
- 1½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into a ½ inch dice
- 3 cups low-fat milk (not skim)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ teaspoon dried cumin
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tbls. sniped chives
- Six ¼-inch slices of French bread
Heat 1 tbls. oil in a 4-quart pot. Add leeks. Sauté on low heat for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. The leeks should soften.
Add potatoes, milk, stock, salt, cumin and white pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Puree soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a food processor. Place 1 tbls. olive oil in a small sauté pan. When hot, add sliced shiitake mushrooms. Sauté on medium until crisp.
Brush the remaining 1 tbls. olive oil on top of the six slices of French bread.Place bread on a baking sheet pan: place under broiler set on high. Broil until light brown.
Top each bowl of soup with a toasted French bread slice, snipped chives and shiitake mushrooms.