- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1–3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon fresh tarragon
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 head red leaf lettuce, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 apples, preferably Door County apples, thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled gorgonzola
- ¼ cup dried Door County tart cherries
TO MAKE THE VINAIGRETTE
Combine vinegars, mustard, sugar, shallot, salt, pepper and tarragon. Whisk oil into vinegar mixture.*
*The red wine tarragon vinaigrette is also available for sale in The Cookery’s lobby
TO PREPARE THE SALAD
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the honey and water in a bowl, add the walnuts and toss to coat. Place the nuts in a single layer on a baking sheet.
Bake five to ten minutes or until golden brown. Stir the nuts halfway through the baking time. Remove the pan and allow nuts to cool.
In a serving bowl, combine lettuce, apples, gorgonzola and dried cherries.
Toss with the vinaigrette. Top with toasted walnuts.