- 3 tbls. unsalted butter, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in ½-inch pieces
- 1 cup celery, ¼-inch dice
- 2/3 cup white onion, ¼-inch dice
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1½ cups whole milk or half and half
- 3 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into ½-inch pieces (about 12 oz.)
- 1 10-oz. package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh sage or ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tbls. unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cups biscuit mix (like Bisquick)
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbls. chopped fresh Italian parsley or fresh sage
- 2/3 cup whole or 2 percent milk
CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
In a pinch for time? Use rotisserie chicken in place of the chicken breast.
Makes 4 generous servings
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a 2-quart stock pot. Add chicken pieces: Cook, stirring occasionally, for two minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove chicken to a bowl.
Add remaining 1 tbls. butter and melt on medium heat. Add celery and onion. Sauté for one minute. Add fl our. Stir mixture constantly for one minute.
Add broth, milk or half and half, potatoes and reserved chicken. Reduce soup to a simmer and cover. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are just tender.
Add the frozen vegetable mixture, salt, white pepper and herbs. Simmer for 5 minutes. Top with the cheddar and herb drop biscuits.
CHEDDAR & HERB DROP BISCUITS
This recipe makes 12 biscuits. Serve one or two on each serving of soup and pass remaining.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Melt butter in a small pan. Add garlic. Sauté on low heat for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
In a mixing bowl, combine biscuit mix, cheese and herbs. Add milk followed by melted garlic butter. Stir gently to combine.
Drop mixture on to prepared sheet pan. Depending on size, the recipe will make approximately 12 drop biscuits.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned.