- ½ c (4 ounces) unsalted butter
- ¾ c flour
- 2 c whole milk
- 4 c chicken or turkey stock
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- ¼ c white wine
- 3 lbs cooked boneless turkey or chicken, torn or cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lbs spaghetti noodles, cooked
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 c grated Parmesan cheese
Melt ½ cup butter in a large saucepan or small stockpot. Add the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes to cook and make a roux.
Add the milk, stock, wine, salt and pepper. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until thickened – about 8 to 10 minutes.
In a separate saucepan, melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter. Add the sliced mushrooms, green peppers and garlic. Sauté until cooked through. Season with the ½ teaspoon salt.
Place the cooked pasta, chicken or turkey and mushroom mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add half of the sauce and ½ cup of the Parmesan cheese. Mix gently to combine.
Spray a large casserole pan with nonstick food spray. Place the mixture evenly in the pan. Pour remaining sauce over the casserole and sprinkle top with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
Bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for approximately 40 minutes or until heated through and lightly browned.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Terri Milligan