- 1 cup (8-ounces) mascarpone cheese or creme fraiche
- 1/2 cup coconut solids, scooped from 1 can chilled full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon oil or lemon zest (optional, but delicious)
- 6 graham crackers
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon butter or hardened coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon water, more as needed
- Pinch of salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups frozen Montmorency tart cherries
In a food processor, blend together the mascarpone cheese, the thick solid part from the chilled can of coconut milk (reserve the watery part for another use), maple syrup and vanilla until smooth. Taste and decide if you would like your fi lling sweeter. Add more maple syrup if you like. Transfer to a bowl and chill for at least 1 hour, or until it thickens.
If using frozen Montmorency tart cherries, let them thaw in a bowl at room temperature, reserving their juices.
In a food processor, pulse the graham crackers, walnuts and cinnamon together until crumbled. Add butter or coconut oil and pulse again. Add a little bit of water until the mixture starts to clump a little.
Assemble parfaits with graham cracker crumble, creamy filling and top generously with Montmorency tart cherries and their juices.
Courtesy of Jeanine Donofrio, LoveandLemons.com