- Toasted seeds with warm vinaigrette
- 2 tbsp hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 3 tbsp sherry wine or white vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ lbs. carrots, tops removed, scrubbed well and/or peeled. Keep whole if thin enough or cut lengthwise.
- Enough extra-virgin olive oil to lightly coat the carrots
- A grind of salt and white pepper
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 8 oz feta cheese, drained
- 3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ c plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro and mint leaves plus extra for final garnish
PREPARE THE CARROTS
Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss the carrots with enough olive oil to coat, then season with a grind of salt and white pepper. Place carrots evenly on a foil-lined baking pan. Sprinkle carrots with the sugar. Roast in the oven until the carrots can be easily pierced with a knife but are not overcooked – about 12 to 14 minutes.
While roasting, whip the feta mixture. In a blender or food processor, blend together the feta, cream cheese and olive oil. Add enough yogurt to create a smooth consistency. Fold in the chopped mint and cilantro.
PREPARE THE SEEDED VINAIGRETTE
Skillet-toast the seeds by placing them in a hot skillet and roasting over medium high heat for approximately 2 minutes or until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove seeds from pan to cool (you will be reusing the pan.) In the seed pan, heat the vinegar and honey. Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil into the pan. Add seeds back into the pan and turn off the heat.
Create a “swoosh” of whipped cheese mixture across the center of a large serving platter (or individual plates). Do this by placing a spoonful of the cheese mixture on one side of the plate. Use the back of a spoon to smear the mixture across the plate. Place the roasted carrots decoratively over the cheese mixture. Drizzle with the honey/seed mixture. Garnish if desired with a few extra cilantro or mint leaves.