- 2 pounds of sliced bacon, divided
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and fi nely diced
- 20 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded white Swiss or white Cheddar cheese
- 4 green onions, roots and tough top greens removed, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- ¾ teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 2 thin slices of provolone, white Cheddar or mozzarella
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lay the bacon slices in even layers on two baking sheets. Bake until crisp, about 12 minutes. Remove from oven and drain bacon on paper towels. When cool, coarsely chop and set aside.
Place the room-temperature cream cheese and 1-cup shredded cheese in the bowl of an electric mixer. Mix on medium speed until combined.
Add the green onions, ½ cup of the chopped cooked bacon, diced jalapeno, garlic salt, white pepper and Creole seasoning. Mix to combine.
Place a large piece of plastic wrap on a work surface. Place the cheese mixture in the middle of the plastic wrap and form it into a football. Cover loosely with the plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours or overnight.
When ready to serve, remove the cheese ball from the refrigerator and place on a work surface. Cover the cheese ball completely with the remainder of the cooked bacon. Cut the cheese slices into ¼-inch wide strips.
Place two longer strips down the middle of the football. Place five smaller strips of cheese over the long strips to create the football laces. Transfer to a serving platter.
If preparing with your family, you may need a little more bacon for snacking during the cheese ball creation process!