- 6 Asian Pears
- 1 bottle of Yunnan white wine
- 400 ml water
- 400 ml white sugar
- 10 pieces of whole star anise
- 20 grams of fresh ginger, sliced (1 small ladle)
- 10 grams of cinnamon bark
- Put all the above in a large bottomed pot (we use a rectangle low rimmed pan).
- Bring to a low boil for 10 minutes.
- Turn the ingredients over so they can be exposed to the water and heat evenly.
- Peel the pears and cut out the core and cut the pears in half. Slice the pears into ¼” thick slices.
- Simmer slices for 20 minutes, in the seasoned liquid, add your previous batches liquid (if possible) and turn pears every few minutes. Once done, transfer to serving dish.
- Cool the liquid and save in a bowl, cover and refridgerate for next time. If you save the liquid for the next time, you will not have to use so much water and sugar.
Submitted by the Linden Centre