- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 cup red bell pepper, seeded and cut into ¼-inch dice
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tsp. sweet curry powder
- 1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 2 tbls. honey
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 3½ cups vegetable broth, plus more as needed
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. white pepper
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- ¼ cup pomegranate arils
Serves 6 to 8
Place coconut oil in a 3-quart pot. Heat on medium. Add the garlic and red peppers. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring often. Add the cubed butternut squash, curry powder, smoked paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne and honey. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable broth. Season with salt and white pepper. Add additional stock if squash is not covered. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer uncovered for 25 to 30 minutes; until squash is fork tender. Remove from heat. Puree soup directly in pot with immersion blender or in batches in a blender or food processor.
Combine remaining 2 tablespoons coconut milk and Greek yogurt in a small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle top of soup with the coconut yogurt mixture. Garnish with pomegranate arils.