- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if you want it hot)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (240 ml) buttermilk
- Grape seed oil for frying
- 2 -4 pieces catfish (walleye or white fish works great, too)
In a medium shallow bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and cayenne.
In second medium shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk.
Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Dip the fish in the buttermilk mixture and then in the flour mixture. Place it in the hot oil. Fry the fish for about 4 minutes on each side until the coating is golden brown. Serve hot.