- 1 pound medium shell pasta
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pound bacon, cooked
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 8 ounces Wisconsin cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Montreal chicken seasoning
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup (4 ounces) Wisconsin colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) Wisconsin provolone cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In large pot, cook pasta in chicken broth until al dente, according to package directions. Reserving broth, drain pasta. Pour pasta into buttered 9x13-inch baking dish. Crumble bacon over pasta.
While pasta is cooking, prepare sauce. In large saucepan or Dutch oven, melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Slowly whisk in heavy cream and stir constantly until thickened. Add cream cheese and Montreal chicken seasoning. Stir for 2 minutes until cream cheese melts down. Slowly add in 3 cups of reserved chicken broth.
Lower heat and continue stirring. Add shredded cheese 1 cup at a time. Keep stirring until sauce is smooth. Pour cheese sauce over pasta and bacon. Gently mix sauce so all pasta is covered. Bake 20-30 minutes until the sauce is bubbly.
Recipe by Jean Kriesel, courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board